Thursday, June 28, 2012

Patience and Knitting

It's been a frustrating couple months, knitting-wise.  I've had some neck problems, so I've been very slow...and I'm not a fast knitter to begin with!

My current three ongoing projects are:
1) Human size sweater! (So heavy in comparison to the doll clothes I usually make! LOL)
2) Cabled jacket for Claire/Ellowyne.  This is so close to done, I just need to finish picking up the stitches and knitting the shawl collar!  (I don't want to.  I hate picking up stitches!)
3)  1.2mm needles + very fine laceweight + all over cabling jacket for Abbie.  (I love this one, but it requires me to be very, very careful!)

So I've been working away on 1 and 3 (and avoiding 2), but neither of them are progressing quickly.  It seemed like forever since I'd finished something!   So this past week I took a break and knit a couple sweaters for my niece's Les Cheries doll instead.  Oh the joy of something I can finish in 1-3 days... :)

I used the Swing Coat pattern for 13" Les Cheries Corolle Doll by Kdys  for one, and then I modified it within an inch of it's life to get a short sleeved cardigan similar to the Froggy Duds one I have for my Littlefee.

Then, of course, her doll needed something to wear with them, so I made a simple sleeveless dress last night, using an Ann Estelle (the 10" doll) bodice pattern as the base, and cut out a second very simple sleeveless a-line dress of my own design.   I hope to sew the second one up tonight, as the Small Person is visiting on the weekend and would enjoy having both outfits.

I was thinking a lot about how sewing and knitting for BJDs has taught me to pay attention to scale and realism, but for a three year old's doll I need to ignore those and think about ease of dressing.  So wider sleeves and armholes, for one.  I put one button on the short sleeved cardigan (a little larger than I would normally), and didn't put snaps on the other sweater as I'd intended because she's unlikely to have the patience for it! It would likely be worn open most of the time anyway. The dresses open all the way down the back, and close with a wider strip of velcro than I'd use on a BJD of comparable size.

I took a couple pictures of the one outfit, but didn't have time to upload them.  Maybe tonight!


2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your neck problems! Those kinds of aches are such a... uh, well, pain in the neck!

    Your swing coat sounds like a very cute idea, and I am in awe of anyone who can knit (I have neither the talent nor the patience). Can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Pain in the neck is accurate!

    Knitting is much easier than it looks...it's the patience that sometimes gets me! Despite the occasional whining, I do enjoy the process. ;)

    ReplyDelete