Friday, September 26, 2014

Sometimes it just all goes wrong...

I've been doing something novel.  I've been knitting myself a hat.

I finished it today, and tried it on, and it was awesome!  PERFECT fit.  Extremely flattering. Covered my ears completely, which means it could be worn in full out winter and not just cold fall mornings.

This hat was exactly what I wanted it to be, and it had been blissfully easy to knit in the evening.  I got gauge first time, memorized the pattern repeat...it was honestly fun to knit.

It didn't just look good on me;  it looked great on Mom! She promptly requested one in red, and my sister wanted one, and....then I blocked it.

For the non-knitters, this means I soaked it for 20 minutes in warm water as per instructions, then pulled it out to very gently get the water out.

"This," I thought to myself, "looks kind of... big."

But then I ignored myself because, you know, maybe I was wrong.  And also, I love this hat.  Did I mention it was the most flattering hat I've ever had on my head?   The brief time I spent prancing around the apartment in this hat had transformed me into someone fashionable, who could even one day wear Outfits rather than just clothes, and would understand the great mysteries of our time like why you are not supposed to wear black with brown even though either one seems to be acceptable with all other colours.  I'm not saying I was going to start wearing accessories or anything, but the power of this hat was so great that I could have.  ;)

Therefore the hat HAD to be okay.

Once the water was out I prepared to stretch it around the 8.5" plate, to give it the distinctive slouchy look.

Only... there wasn't really stretching involved.  In fact, trying to block it as tiny as I can get it?  It's at least an inch wider on every side of the plate.  This is a BIG hat.

Actually, no, this is a HUGE hat.

The Hat That Mocked Me

The very pretty, pure wool yarn (the perfect shade of light grey when dry) seems suspiciously inelastic at this point.  I didn't even know wool could do that.

It's drying now, and I'm working really hard at convincing myself that maybe when it's dry it will miraculously fit my head perfectly again?  Maybe?

(Yeah, I'm not convinced either.)

Looking through other people's projects, I'm seeing that the same thing happened to quite a few others, and most of the ones that seem to have been successful mention using smaller needles or less stitches.  No gauge though, so it is hard to figure out how much I'd need to adjust down to make a new one that fits the way this one did before blocking.  So disappointed.  Should have read the notes on other people's projects first!

Lesson Learned:  Always read other people's project notes on Ravelry FIRST!

Lesson Possibly Not Learned:  I'm trying again with smaller needles.  What can I say, I really loved this hat!  LOL

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh that's such a shame, I'm sorry to hear that Lynn, because it does look like a very nice hat! Maybe it will dry smaller? Or what about if it were dried on a radiator? No, don't listen to me, I'm the one who tried knitting a cardigan for a Little Darling and it fits a doll 7 inches taller! I just had an idea, what about adding a band around, would that work? You can tell from my comments that I've had a lot of experience of things not turning out quite right, can't you?
    Hugs Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to try putting it in the dryer later today and seeing what happens. I also thought about steeking it (basically cutting part out) to make it smaller. It will be an adventure, either way! LOL

      Delete
  2. Okay, first off I have to say -- Trixie Belden for the win! We're about ready to dangle one in front of our mystery loving daughter and hook a new generation.

    Secondly -- oh, darn that hat. Could you possibly felt the first one a bit? I, too, have experience with things not turning out quite right too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she should love them! I liked Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, but Trixie Belden was my favourite when I was a kid. :D I've been re-reading the six I own recently.

      I'm going to try putting it in the dryer and see what happens. I've never tried felting or putting anything wool near a dryer, so this will be an interesting experiment!

      Delete
  3. See, I don't know the instructions would tell you to soak it if it was going to expand like that. What a shame. I have fingers crossed that the hat will still fit or that you can make it fit.

    By the way, I didn't know you shouldn't wear brown with black. Is there a reason?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the problem must have been the yarn I used; though I'm not clear why. LOL Made some adjustments, and I think the new one should fit just fine. :)

      I have no idea why brown and black aren't to be worn together. My more fashion-savvy friends and relatives just tell me these things, and I've given up asking the logic behind it! LOL

      Delete