Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Cats Complicate Everything (And You Wind Up Being Grateful)

Madeline was a pest.

She refused to let me sleep in on weekends.
She tried to steal my toast at breakfast.
She sat on my books when I read.
She tried to steal the yarn when I knit and the thread when I sewed.
She got herself shut into closets on a frequent basis.
She liked to watch you run around calling for her while sitting very still in plain sight.
She thought it was great when I was sick, and had to stay home.  (Because then I stayed in bed all day like a proper cat - she purred happily next to me all day.)
She ran in front of me and nearly tripped me at least once a day.
If I was taking a picture of the dolls, she wanted to be right there in the middle.  If I wanted to take a picture of her, she wanted to walk away.
She put all her toys in places she couldn't reach them, then meowed for me to get the yard stick to rescue them for her.
She wouldn't let any visitors over the age of about 2.5 pet her, and would happily enforce this by biting them.
It took twice as long as it should to get ready for work in the morning, because she demanded I stop and pet her, or took off with my hair elastic, or brought me a toy to throw (she liked to play fetch).

I had to have her put to sleep almost a month ago now, and I miss her so much!  :(

My Cat

I miss her greeting me in the morning when I got up, and trying to steal my toast.  I miss her when I'm reading and she's not lying next to me (or on the book).  I miss her when I'm knitting, because I kind of got used to knitting in strange contortions to keep the yarn out of her reach.  I miss her when I get home from work, and she's not there at the door, delighted that I have once again managed to come home.

She was a pest for 14 years.  I wish it had been 50.

8 comments:

  1. Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this news. So heart breaking. Big hugs to you. What a beautiful post about your gorgeous Madeline.
    May you find comfort in all the sweet memories of your precious girl.
    Hugs again,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. She left no shortage of stories!

      Delete
  2. I am really sorry to hear about her passing. She sounded like she had such a great spirit and playfulness about her. They really are a part of your family. May her memory live on forever in your heart.

    I fear the day I will have to say goodbye to my two cats. I love them so much and the thought always brings tears to my eyes.

    Sending you many warm hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. Cats (or other pets) add a lot to their owners lives, don't they!

      Delete
  3. I'm so so sorry! 14 is too short, the same age as our giant kitty was, and it was very hard at first. I only lasted two weeks before we came home with two kittens.
    Know that she cared about you very much -- cats only bug the ones they love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. She was very much "my" cat, and no one else's. LOL Some cats are just like that.

      A home isn't a home without a cat; I'm sure the two kittens helped a lot!

      Delete
  4. Awww I'm so very sorry Lynn, she sounds like she was a real character. Our furry family members really really do enhance our lives so much. I know I moan at my dogs sometimes when they do naughty things or drive me nuts with their barking, but really, if it weren't happening, I would be distraught.
    Sending you big hugs and hope that the pain will ease to a bearable level soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      It is funny what you miss when they are gone!

      Delete