Monday, December 21, 2015

Sugarplum Fairies and a Parcel

My sister and I are taking Nieceling to see The Nutcracker tonight.  We've none of us ever seen a ballet, let alone this one, but we all know the story.

We like to make a tremendously big deal out of Special Events in our family.  We don't do a lot of "big" things in a year, so we like to make the most of them.  In this case, we got Nieceling a fancy outfit to wear, and her mother has managed to keep exactly what it is a secret.


She has seen the shoes, as we needed to make sure they fit, but the dress itself?  That is a surprise....;) We've got a little dollar-store nutcracker for her to have at the end, which nicely avoids the expensive souvenirs available.

It could be we won't like the ballet, but we are going in pre-disposed to enjoy it to the hilt.  Nieceling knows the story by heart now.


We'll probably only go once in her life, but she'll remember the planning, and her storybook, and the fancy dress, taking a taxi, the ballet itself, and getting her own tiny nutcracker doll.... and it will blend in with the years of memories of baking and decorating cookies, dancing to Christmas music, trees, tobogganing, and lights and just generally Christmas.  We'be been switching gradually to more "experience" type of gifts, and all of the kids love it.  And so do we. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And on a more materialistic note, guess whose Fairyland order just shipped?   

...

:D


Yeah.  They might not be here for Christmas, with the high volumes of mail, but they will be here soon!

Fairyland was quite fast this time around!   It was such a lovely surprise to see the shipping notice this morning. :)

8 comments:

  1. Oh, The Nutcracker Ballett is awesome, I think you all will love it and for Nieceling it will be pure magic. Besides, my Fairyland order (Pukipuki tan Pong) is still on Before shipping, I hope she'll take her plane before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we did enjoy the ballet very much! I hope your Pong is shipped soon! :D

      Delete
  2. Ooooh I do hope you'll all have a lovely time, the outfit is great, your neiceling is going to love wearing that dress and shoes, she'll feel even more excited and a part of the whole event. It all sounds like such a great experience for her!
    As for your FL package, that is great news! I look forward to seeing your girls with their new bodies after the Christmas period.
    Have a great time!
    Hugs Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a great time, thank you! It turns out their is a "Canadian" version of the ballet, which is what we unexpectedly saw, but we still enjoyed it.

      The Fairyland order is in Canada already, so it's a toss up whether they get here before or after Christmas! LOL

      Delete
  3. Oh the Nutcracker is wonderful, I'm sure you'll all have a great time. My daughter's favorite part is the Russian Dance, well all the 'international' dances to be honest!
    Congrats on the Fairyland shipping too. It's nice when we get bjd presents in time for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a great time, thanks! It turns out the version we saw was a "Canadian" variation, so we had woodland animals instead of the international dances, but Nieceling still enjoyed it. :)

      It really is lovely when an order comes in right around Christmas! The package was in Toronto yesterday, and is already through customs... so it could even arrive today or tomorrow! LOL But I'll be happy to see it whenever it arrives!

      Delete
  4. Oh that dress is lovely and those shoes. I bet your niece will feel like a little princess. This is why I wish there were nieces in the family. My sister has two boys and my sister in law has two boys. No nieces to buy for. Girls always have such neat stuff.

    I love the Nutcracker. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the ballet. I've never seen one either mostly because I keep missing the ones that come here and no one else I know likes ballet.

    I remember as a kid, I was so fascinated with it and wanted to do ballet classes but my parents never let me. I even have a book of classic ballet shows.

    Congrats on the shipping notice! The post is so slow this time of year. One of my parcels shipping from the USA was actually shipped by the company on the 13th December but only left the US on the 20th December!!! Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She looked like a little princess in it, and immediately demonstrated that it did not impact her ability to do cartwheels... LOL She has two older brothers, and is the only girl, so we spoil her a bit for the very reasons you mention! ;)

      We thought we were seeing the regular version, but it turned out to be a special "Canadian" version of it. It threw us a little because we knew the other story, but we still enjoyed it! There were actually more than a few ballet-lovers who were there on their own to see it (and others who'd brought clearly less-interested friends... LOL.)

      I imagine the regular version is at least as good, so it sounds to me like you'd really enjoy it if you did go! The version we saw was about two hours long with a 20 minute intermission.

      The dancers actually came out to the lobby afterwards and signed people's programs. I had thought they would charge for that, but they did it for free, and were really good about talking with the little kids who came up. Nieceling got the Sugarplum Fairy equivalent (Lady Birch) to sign hers, and was completely thrilled!

      Delete