Monday, November 25, 2019

Hi? And Sasha...

So it's been....about three years.  LOL  Hi again, if anyone is still out there!

The hobby wheel turned, and the dolls have been quietly packed away, safe for whenever inspiration appeared.

Apparently, inspiration's name is Sasha at the moment. ;)

I really wanted a Sasha doll as a child, particularly one with brown hair.  I discovered them while looking at old "Golden Hands" magazines that my mother had.  (In fact, I still have those magazines!)  But Sasha dolls simply weren't available in Canada at that time, or not anywhere in our rural area anyway.

Then a few years back I saw Sharon's Sasha dolls at Sharon in Spain, and was charmed all over again!

So a few weeks ago, I went looking on eBay, and found a brown-haired, brown-eyed Sasha doll that didn't have the greatest pictures but was within my price range.

She's been here a couple weeks and I am so happy to have her!  Her hair and face are in great condition, and her stringing seems okay as well.  She's able to stand on her own.

But....at some point, she's picked up a rather strong mildew odour.   There are no signs of mould that I can detect, so I think the smell has just been picked up from wherever she was stored.   She's now been carefully washed following instructions I found on a Sasha website:




And her hair dried (I don't own a hairdryer, so I had to improvise!):



And she's spending a lot of time right now packed in a bin with baking soda:


But I've already started slowly working on an outfit for her, so by the time she's recovered, she may even have something to wear that isn't borrowed!

In the meantime, meet Sasha, in a borrowed dress that doesn't quite close at the back!  LOL






6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, has it really been THREE whole years?? I often look out for you to post and then saw you'd posted on my blog today so came to look here and there you are!!! It's good to see you back, I missed your lovely photos of your girls in their home that you'd put together for them....and your sweet LTF Ante was always a favourite of mine.
    I'm glad that I was able to influence you into getting a Sasha, they are lovely dolls as you have found out and great to sew for, not too big and not too small. I still have mine although they've not featured much on my blog recently...actually no-one has featured much on my blog recently as I've been so lax with posting, but I'll try harder.
    I look forward to seeing what you sew for your new girl and hope you'll show us on here soon :)
    Big hugs Sharon in Spain x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't seem that long, but apparently it has been! LOL

    I do love that the Sasha dolls seem to have realistic proportions, which is great for sewing or knitting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! You're back! I had been hoping you might pop in to your blog from time to time. I'm glad to see you and sometimes you really just need a break. The doll hobby is like any other, you can and will get burned out!

    Congrats on your new doll. A few blogs I read own this style of doll. She looks good and I hope you're able to get rid of that mildew odour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! It's nice to hear from you again! I was just admiring your doll, Ydros's, outfit and backstory the other day. I always enjoy hearing their stories. :)

      Crossing my fingers that the mildew smell fades; sounds like it is a fairly common and usually resolvable issue. LOL

      Delete
  4. I was just sewing on a dreaded snap on some doll clothes and thought of you so I thought I‘d pop over and say 👋 HI!!
    I picked up a few Sashas too as well as some Girls for All Time in a similar size over the years. They are so fun to sew for, especially historical outfits. I’d love to see what you do with her once her spa time is over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Snaps! They are evil.... Glad to hear you are doing well! :)

      I'm hoping poor Sasha will be released this weekend, fully un-scented. LOL

      Delete